Thursday, April 16, 2009

Take Time to Sharpen the Saw

Take time to sharpen the saw is an old metaphor for being prepared for your daily work. And being someone who loves to chop wood, I know first hand how important it is to take 5-10 minutes before I start, to sharpen my ax or saw. It can make a humongous difference and probably saves a good 30 minutes-1 hr of work on a 3 to 4 hour job.

Taking time to sharpen the saw can also be applied to the self-keeping yourself refreshed, recharged and in optimal, harmonious states. This includes, but is not limited to, exercise, sleep, healthy eating, positive thinking and care of the soul. The area I am going to focus on the most here however, is care of the soul. This is because I believe it is the first area to get neglected and is one of, if not the most important areas. In Neale Donald Walsch's amazing book Conversations With God, he says, "If I do not go within, I go without." Taking time for daily rejuvenation is both restorative and necessary for the soul. And yet, most people I know go through their daily lives without taking the time, or making the time to sharpen the saw in this area (to refresh, recharge, rejuvenate at a soul level). If the soul is not at peace, at rest, then nothing is in harmony. Harmony and peace start inward. It doesn't matter how good you eat, how much sleep or exercise you get. If your soul needs are lacking, your total health in mind, body and spirit will be lacking. The soul needs care as well.

Taking the time to go within has made all the difference in my life. I have seen a dramatic increase in my health and vitality, and my energy level over the past ten years, since I began daily yoga/meditation, combined with spiritual study. My daily routine begins at 5 am everyday with journal writing, spiritual study, yoga/meditation and prayer. And what it gives me is balance, poise, inner strength, insight, clarity, tons of energy, and passion and enthusiasm for the day. If your life is lacking these things, I encourage you to set some time aside for care of the soul. It will most certainly make your day flow more easily and smoothly. And if you want to experience total health in mind, body and spirit, take time to sharpen the saw in all these areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment